At some point, we’ve all panicked over the sight of excessive hair fall. And the thought of losing too much hair can be overwhelming. You’ve watched what looks like a huge clump of hair whirling about in the shower drain, clogging up the bathtub drain, all bunched up on your hairbrush and occasionally stuck to the back of your t-shirt. But in reality, shedding hair is all part of living.
It’s completely normal for your hair to fall out. A new hair replaces the fallen hair as it goes through its growth cycles. Usually, a healthy adult loses about 50-100 threads of hair every day and grows about 1.5cm every month. At any given time, 90% of your hair is actively growing whereas the other 10% is resting, or dormant. A few months later, the resting hair falls out and the follicle grows brand-new hair in place of the old ones.
It’s important to note the difference between hair fall and hair loss. During the growth cycle, hair detaches from the follicle and falls out. However, cause for concern arises when the hair falls out and doesn’t grow back or it grows back but thinner or in patches. If you begin to notice thinner-than-normal spots on your head, a wider part, or even bald patches, you may be experiencing hair loss.
Understanding how hair growth works will be helpful in resolving your particular hair fall or hair loss situation.
Hair Fall and The Hair Growth Cycle
The hair growth journey begins below the skin, where the follicle is situated. At the base of the follicle, blood vessels provide the root with the essential nutrition needed to grow. Each hair follicle is independent and undergoes the growth cycle at various times. If every hair was in the same growth phase, all your hair would fall out at the same time. These four stages are anagen, catagen, telogen, and exogen.
4 Growth Cycle Stages
- ANAGEN GROWTH PHASE: Your hair grows about 1.5cm a month. Hair grows faster when it receives the proper nutrients and nourishment required to boost hair growth. A biotin supplement boosts hair growth because Biotin reacts with cell enzymes and plays a vital part in producing amino acids, which are the building blocks of protein. Hair is made of keratin, which is a type of protein. Thus, Biotin helps the synthesis of the protein keratin (which is essential for hair growth), by reacting with cell enzymes to produce amino acids. At any given time, hair can be in the anagen growth phase for roughly 2-7 years. This is a very important phase because the length and strength of your hair is determined, based on the nourishment it receives. It is vital to make sure that your diet contains a sufficient amount of nutrients necessary to maintain healthy hair growth because as we age, the length of the anagen growth stage decreases making the hair weaker and much thinner after each cycle.
- CATAGEN TRANSITIONAL PHASE: At the end of the anagen growth phase, the hair enters the catagen phase. This is the transitional stage and lasts for approximately 10 days. For the duration of this stage, the hair does not grow while the hair follicle shrinks and detaches from the dermal papilla.
- TELOGEN RESTING PHASE: About 10-15 percent of hairs are in this telogen phase, also known as the resting phase. Here, the follicle remains inactive for 3 months.
- EXOGEN REGROWTH PHASE: This forms part of the resting phase. While the old hair is inactive, a new hair begins to grow. Roughly 50 to 100 strands of hair can fall out daily, which is considered to be normal.
Interrupted Growth Cycle
There are many causes of hair loss, however, thinning hair, hair loss, and hair growth problems occur when the growth cycle is interrupted. An interrupted growth cycle can be triggered by illness, poor diet or hormonal changes. An improper diet restricts nutrients necessary for healthy hair growth thus resulting in excessive hair loss which occurs due to the anagen growth phase being cut short. When the anagen growth phase is cut short, many hairs enter the telogen resting phase all at the same time. When hairs enter the telogen resting phase too soon, excess hair loss and noticeable thinning may occur.
If your hair growth cycle is constantly challenged, or if it is not nutritionally supported, it is quite likely that your hair may not grow as long as it once did. This occurs because your growth cycle is put under stress and your hair is never allowed flourish in the anagen growth phase long enough for your hair to reach the desired length.
In a case such as this, it’s a great idea to add a hair growth vitamins or hair growth supplement such as Biolife Biotin 5mg to your daily routine to help nourish hair follicles and prevent unwanted hair loss. Biolife Biotin 5mg helps promote hair growth and reduces hair fall.
Regardless of whether you’re experiencing hair fall or hair loss, taking Biolife Biotin 5mg each day is an easy solution to help you overcome the physical and emotional side effects of unwanted hair fall, giving back your confidence and radiant shine.